What Is Carole Up To Now?

Carole is wandering the world. Having had a couple successful careers, as a software engineer then a technical marketer, it's time to take a sabbatical and plan for the next big thing. New philosphy: "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."

Friday, June 03, 2005

Beer bad

June 3, Friday. Got up at 6:30 with the construction crews. I spent a couple hours online, there’s a great site called Toytown, primarily for English-speaking expats in Munich, which has extensive discussion boards. I was reading up on various things and time passed. I think being on dial-up is an amazing time sink, I hope we can get DSL where ever we move to.

At about 9 I decided that I’d head into Munich and try to find the city office where I need to register, anyway. I hopped the S-bahn, did find the office. I had written out the name of the forms and fortunately also carried my dictionary so I could look up ‘looking for’. Ich suche Anmeldeformulare. I came away with a form & checklist of what we’ll need to bring back. Success!

From there I walked into city center, and found Kustermann, a department store specializing in housewares. Bought a wine opener. There was quite a selection, from 9.95 Euro to 49 plus! I’m not sure what makes an opener so expensive but the cheap one is working just fine. I was feeling so happy with my successes that I decided to have lunch in town, and sat at a table for a café at Marienplatz. Had a salad topped with baked Mozzerella sticks. It was good! Good lettuces, and the cheese was indeed baked so it was not greasy. I must say I have had only good meals here. Some comprise dishes that are not what I would have thought to combine, but they all taste good! I did, however, make the mistake of having a beer. Helles again, the light beer, on a hot day. And sure enough, got a headache and felt badly in a couple hours. I have to see if it’s the beer, just the light beer as opposed to the yummy Dunkles dark, or just any alcohol at lunchtime on a hot day that brings me down.

Logan got back this evening. His trip was good, and he got to learn about the ‘all the tests passed’ celebration. Lunch that day for them started with Champagne, included 3 courses, chocolate mousse for dessert, and wine was poured too. Both of us were content to stay home for dinner on the balcony. After dinner we went for a walk, and found the path that leads from the Unterhaching Rathaus Platz, through a few blocks of neighborhood, and into the Perlacher Forest (Forst). There are many many paths crisscrossing through this wooded area, it’s great for walking or biking. We walked for about an hour as the sun set.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home