What Is Carole Up To Now?

Carole is wandering the world. Having had a couple successful careers, as a software engineer then a technical marketer, it's time to take a sabbatical and plan for the next big thing. New philosphy: "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Yes, I gave it up for Lent

Bavaria is very catholic. They celebrate Faschings, the season leading up to Lent (gotta get lots of partying in, before we’re supposed to be sober and thoughtful!) Last week I went to the Victualien markt area, where there is a big outdoor Faschings party on Faschings Dienstag (Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday – day for the biggest party of the season.) Started around 10:30, the party went all day long. Lots of Prosecco being drunk. Sadly, not by me as I was coming down with a cold. People wear costumes in celebration. Most of which went nicely over their winter coats. Lots of great hats & head gear. Lots of people in cow or bear costumes - extra layer of warmth.

All parties over, people are now talking about what they gave up for Lent. I decide to give up thinking negatively about myself. Unlike giving up chocolate, this one is really hard! I catch myself a few times a day. Also unlike giving up chocolate for 40 days, I think this will really help me after Lent.

I am really tired of winter. Last Friday, I met some friends at a local Jazz club. Walked home around 11:30 – it was windy, and warmish (must have been in the low 40s). The sidewalks were clear and starting to dry. Overnight a massive storm moved in and in 12 hours, we got 90 cm of snow (that’s almost 3 feet!!) It has been snowing on & off since. Here are some pictures from Sunday morning.



Off the balcony at the back of the apartment.



Looking up the street toward the apartment.



Bikes parked overnight at the U-Bahn station.




And if you've only got a bike, you ride it no matter the weather!



Snow flooping out of the trees in English Garden. Lots of branches came down too, this is very wet & heavy snow.



A side stream in the English garden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home